Tuesday 12 May 2015

MAR SHIMOON BARSABBAI

He was born in Susa (south west of Iran); the exact date of his birth is unknown. But it is thought that he lived over 117 years. His family was in the profession of dyeing the cloths of kings and princes of the Parthian royal family. He was called Barsabbai meaning the son of the dyers. This nickname stuck on him as he dyed his body with the blood of his martyrdom.
During sometime in the fourth century he was a disciple and later deacon for Patriarch Fafa (the head of Eastern Church).He was sent by Fafa as his representative at the council of Nicaea in 325 (A council called by Emperor Constantine I to form a consensus in the church through an assembly that represented all Christendom).In 329 he was elected patriarch of the church of the east.
In spring 341, the Parthian king, Shahpour, issued a decree, ordering all Christians to pay double taxes, to fund his wars with the Romans. As Christians, majority of them on low income, were unable to pay these new taxes, he ordered all heads of churches to be imprisoned. Patriarch Shimoon was amongst 103 prisoners. After torture and false allegation, they were all falsely accused of spying for the Romans. He was taken to Ahwaz where the king was residing.
The kings ordered them to denounce their religion and worship fire. The vehemence of their refusal infuriated the king, incandescent with rage; he gave the order to execute them all. In prison, Mar Shimoon nourished his exhausted companions and revived their languidness. On Good Friday 14th April 341, in the greyness and drizzle of one despondent dawn, they were all lead to a courtyard and were beheaded. This marked the beginning of what is known as the forty years prosecution of Christians (339-379). It is estimated that over 30,000 Christians perished in this carefully calibrated prosecution.
Two of his prayers, a prayer before martyrdom and the crown of martyrdom were written shortly before his execution.  
 
 
A prayer before martyrdom
 
Lord Jesus, You prayed for those who crucified You,
You teach us to pray for our foes.
You accepted the spirit of Estepanous who prayed for those who stoned him.
Accept my spirit and the souls of my brethrens.
Forgive the sin of the persecutors of your people.
Lord, grant them the grace of conversion.
Lord, bless the towns and cities You entrusted into my care.
Protect all our faithful consider them like the apple of your eye.
May they find shelter under the shadows of Your wings,
Till these troubles pass away.
As you promised stay with them till the end
 
 
The crown of Martyrdom
 
My Lord Jesus, adorn me with the crown of martyrdom,
You know, how much my heart longs for it.
You know, how much my soul loves You.
Grant me to look with joy at the sword of my executioner.
Grant me peace in Your kingdom, and let your glory be my strength.
Permit me not to live in this world and witness my people’s hardship.
Permit me not to live and see,
Your churches demolished,
Your altars torn down,
Your Holy books ripped,
Your holiness defiled,
Your anguished monks tortured.
Permit me not to live,
To see the wolves ravaging your glorious eparchies,
Permit me not to live,
And see my deceiving friends turning upon me as my executioners.
Arise me gallantly as the head of the church of the east.
 
 
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment